We are committed to sharing resources for doing the work of Higher Ed in Prison (HEP). Because this work often entails mutual aid and an understanding of the effects of trauma and institutional violence, many of our most critical resources are only indirectly related to HEP.
If you know of a resource that should be listed here, please contact Patrick Bahls (email@example.com) to ask about it included here.
Resources on mutual aid
- What Is Mutual Aid? (YouTube video by Dean Spade and Ciro Carrillo)
- Introduction to Mutual Aid (recording of the June 2020 Janine Soleil Abolitionist Institute, featuring Mariame Kaba)
- Mutual Aid 101 Toolkit (produced by Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez’s #WeGotOurBlock)
Resources on the language of incarceration
- The Use and Impact of Criminal Justice Labels in Media Coverage (report from People First)
- “The Language of Incarceration” (article by Alexandra Cox in Incarceration: An International Journal of Imprisonment, Detention and Coercive Confinement, July 2020)
- What Words We Use — and Avoid — In Covering People and Incarceration (the Marshall Project, offering nonprofit journalism about criminal justice)
- Principles of harm reduction (from the National Harm Reduction Coalition)